Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Is that appropriate for a Lama?

Buddhism gains more points as a contender for World's Best Religion as the Karmapa Lama Trinley Dorje, one of its senior leaders, has stated that not only does he play violent video games, he also thinks they are "as effective as meditation in freeing the mind of worldly passions". Quote:

'I view video games as something of an emotional therapy, a mundane level of emotional therapy for me. We all have emotions whether we're Buddhist practitioners or not, all of us have emotions, happy emotions, sad emotions, displeased emotions and we need to figure out a way to deal with them when they arise. So, for me sometimes it can be a relief, a kind of decompression to just play some video games. If I'm having some negative thoughts or negative feelings, video games are one way in which I can release that energy in the context of the illusion of the game. I feel better afterwards. The aggression that comes out in the video game satiates whatever desire I might have to express that feeling. For me, that's very skilful because when I do that I don't have to go and hit anyone over the head.'

In an interview with The Times of India he also talks about Indian/Chinese international relations, his approach to Buddhist teachings and, er, hip-hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Out Campaign: Scarlet Letter of Atheism